Join our Team!
As a pop-culture superstore — wowing our Guests with the latest comics, books, games, toys, and other popular collectibles — Emerald City Comics has served our community since 1989! As EC continues to grow and expand, we are always looking to build our group of friendly, honest, helpful, and enthusiastic Team Members … and we may be looking for YOU!
If you have what it takes to succeed as an EC Team Member, fill out an application now, so we can contact you when we are looking to expand our Team!
If you applied more than a few months ago, feel free to apply again so we know you are still interested in a position here.
If you experience an error with the online application, please email email@example.com to let us know about it. You can also include your answers to our application questions in the email along with any other details or references, and attach a resume.
Guest Service Specialist
We are generally looking for full-time Team Members (30-40 hours per week) with scheduling flexibility, including nights and weekends.
Core Responsibilities of this position include (but are not limited to):
- Providing service to Guests at the register and quickly completing sales, typically for a third of your shift.
- Providing service to Guests on the sales floor and recommending / locating merchandise, typically for a third of your shift.
- Completing daily tasks, according to schedule each day (such as checking in inventory and stocking shelves, cleaning and maintenance, project-related tasks, etc.), typically for a third of your shift; requires lifting boxes up to 50 pounds a few times per week and using standard ladders for some tasks.
- Providing solutions to Guest service issues and resolving problems.
- Completing tasks at the register, as assigned (such as creating bag and boards, labeling merchandise, point-of-sale system and product updates, etc.).
- Answering primary and secondary phone line when providing floor coverage.
- Stocking register counters and displays of collector’s supplies .
- Assisting Leadership and Merchants with small tasks and projects as needed.
- Completing other duties as assigned.
Key Traits include (but are not limited to):
- Ability to greet and engage with all EC Guests from a wide range of demographics and backgrounds, making them feel welcome and comfortable, attending to their needs, and exceeding their expectations.
- Ability to discern Guests’ areas of interest and recommend products, services, and upcoming EC events.
- Flexibility in working with others and handling multiple tasks at once.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; strong organizational skills, including the ability to quickly sort alpha-numerically.
- An outgoing, engaging personality with the ability to be innovative, diplomatic, and positive at all times, particularly under stress.
- The ability to look for solutions and improve processes in a constructive manner.
- Strong ability to complete tasks despite frequent interruptions.
- Professionalism; the ability to conduct yourself in a fun, but business-like manner; able to manage time to meet deadlines.
- Responsible and accountable for meeting Guests’ requests, and the ability to take responsibility for the quality of your work.
- Timeliness and reliability; being prepared and ready to work when scheduled.
- Ability to operate and close the store register quickly and accurately, after training.
- Ability to follow instructions and ask clarifying questions as needed to ensure accuracy.
- Two or more years of retail and customer service experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of current and vintage comics, books, toys, and games preferred.
Why Emerald City Comics?
Over the years, Emerald City Comics has grown from two smaller stores into one superstore, but has maintained its personable nature, and despite the risk, has experienced more growth than even we had imagined possible.
We value our Guests, and work hard to bring them the things they love, which will provide growth opportunities to those Team Members who excel in their work. Our business strategy has us well-prepared for the arrival of competitive businesses, and the fluctuation of trends and the economy, providing more opportunities for job retention and promotion.
We offer a challenging, but fun, work environment, surrounded by the items, characters, and concepts you love; making it easy to engage with your work and our Guests.
EC provides opportunities for you to familiarize yourself with the products we sell. You’ll also receive advanced-level training, and work on a variety of projects and tasks that can lead to building a career in the comics and gaming industry.
Benefits & perks at EC:
- Emerald City will buy you lunch on your first day of work!
- You’ll receive a 35% discount on new comics, regular back issues, books & graphic novels, and sodas & snacks; and a 25% discount on everything else!
- You may borrow comics and books!
- You will accrue Paid Time Off (PTO), which increases every 5 years, and is good for personal or sick time in addition to vacation time!
- You will be paid for any time missed by holiday closures – or given 6 hours of PTO if you are not scheduled that day!
- You can receive an annual bonus if the store is presently profitable – even on your first year with EC!
- You may take part in our retirement savings program, with EC matching your contributions up to 3% of your pay!