WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELVES IN 100 WORDS OR LESS?
EC has been in business since 1989!
We make our Guests happy by offering you the pop culture merchandise you want in a clean and neat store staffed by a friendly and knowledgeable Team!
We carry a stellar selection of comic books, games, and toys for all ages and interests!
Your best memories are here at EC!
WHEN DOES MY EC ONLINE SHOP ORDER SHIP? HOW MUCH DOES SHIPPING COST?
We normally ship USPS Priority Mail, insured. Orders ship on the next business day, and usually arrive within three days after shipping. You can also choose an in-store pickup option if you are near our physical location.
These are the primary methods we use to ship orders, to give you a general idea of the shipping cost of your order (your total shipping cost will show before you enter your payment):
- Legal Envelope: $7.00. Ships up to 6 comic books (or 1-2 graded & slabbed comics). Comics are secured within a cardboard T shipper.
- Medium Box: $13.75. Ships up to 2 Mego-sized figures. Can also fit up to 60 bagged and boarded comics.
- Large Box: $19.00. Ships 3 or more Mego-sized figures, more than 60 comics, or other large items. This is the maximum shipping fee charged by our online shop.
DO YOU ACCEPT PAYPAL FOR ONLINE PURCHASES?
For international orders, or if you do not have a credit card, you can send an email to email@example.com with your PayPal email address and shipping address, and a detailed list of what you want, and we can send you a PayPal invoice that includes your shipping quote.
WHEN ARE EACH WEEK’S NEW COMICS AVAILABLE?
New comics are usually available when we open every Wednesday.
Games and other merchandise can arrive almost any day of the week.
HOW DO I FIND THE COMICS I WANT?
New comics are racked alphabetically by title. Exception: superhero titles are racked by the character’s name instead of title (“Amazing Spider-Man,” for instance, is racked under “Spider-Man”). This week’s new comics have a “New!” label in front of them for easy browsing.
Graphic novels are racked as follows:
- DC Superheroes / DC Animation / DC Vertigo
- Marvel Superheroes / Star Wars / Coloring Books
- Fiction & Literature — publisher subsections:
- Dark Horse Comics
- Image Comics
- Boom Studios
- Dynamite Entertainment
- IDW Publishing
- Fiction & Literature (all other publishers)
- Archival Collections (collections of newspaper strips and vintage comics)
- Art / Reference (including “How To”)
- Manga (Japanese comics, translated into English)
- Young Adult
- Kids & Animation
Back issues are filed alphabetically by title (as listed in the annual Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide).
WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?
Every week, the Emerald City staff each has their own recommended new comic displayed on the counter just inside the store, and we feature a selection of new comics at the register counter. We also have a “Featured Books” table of some of our favorite and best-selling graphic novels. We’re always happy to help you find a comics story you might enjoy, but we will not recommend any new comics for their potential future investment value — we believe the primary value in comics is the reading experience.
WHAT IS THE EC REWARDS CARD?
Sign up for our in-store Rewards Card — we promise not to sell your information or otherwise use it for nefarious purposes! Currently, back issue comics (non-vintage), graphic novels, games, and toys count towards their own frequent-buyer programs. After you buy so many, you get a discount on the next one equal to the average you’ve spent on the previous items. For back issues and graphic novels, it’s 10 items. For games or toys, it’s 20 items. You have a full year to purchase all the items you need to complete each program. Then you have another full year to use the credit you receive for completing a program!
Read all about it on our Rewards Card page here: http://emeraldcitycomics.com/rewards-card/
DO YOU OFFER A MILITARY DISCOUNT?
Yes we do! A discount is offered to all active military, retirees, and veterans with a valid military ID or proof of military service: 10% off new comics, non-vintage back issue comics, and books & graphic novels; 5% off everything else in the store, including toys & collectibles, games, vintage comics, collecting supplies, apparel, trading cards, wall art, and snacks & drinks (excludes consignment items). Just sign up for a Rewards Card and present it with each purchase, and we will add the Military discount to your account. This discount will supersede our Rewards Programs, as it is the better savings of the two. Our system always gives you the best discount available, so when we have a sale with a larger discount, you will be upgraded to that instead of your Military discount for that purchase.
WHAT IS YOUR IN-STORE COMICS SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE?
This service holds new comic books and graphic novels for you, so you never miss a chapter of your favorite stories. Here’s how it works:
• It’s FREE. You pay only for the merchandise as you pick it up.
• Just let us know which comic book titles and graphic novels you would like, and we will hold them for you when they arrive. Please subscribe to at least three titles.
• Please pick up everything in your file at least once a month. Delinquent subscription files will be put on hold, and the books will be returned to stock.
• We will gladly try to keep you informed about upcoming comics and merchandise, but we also recommend Previews, our distributor’s monthly catalog. You can use this catalog every month to order items that are not already on your subscription file.
• If you order an item that cost $75 or more, please leave a 50% deposit. This deposit is nonrefundable unless the item is canceled by the manufacturer or distributor.
You can sign up online here!
WHAT IF I CAN’T FIND THE ITEM I WANT?
If you see an item in the Previews catalog that you want, or if you don’t see an item in the store that you’re looking for, please ask us. We can often special order it for you. If you order an item that cost $75 or more, please leave a 50% deposit. The deposit is nonrefundable unless the item is canceled by the manufacturer or distributor.
DO YOU OFFER LAYAWAY?
Yes we do!
• The service is free — there is no layaway charge.
• The down payment is 20% of the total pre-tax retail price of the merchandise. This payment holds the merchandise for up to two months.
• Merchandise on layaway must be paid for in full within two months, or the layaway will be canceled. No partial takeouts of a multiple-item layaway are permitted.
• You may cancel this layaway at any time before your last payment is made.
• In the event of cancellation, we will refund all money you have paid, less a cancellation charge of 20% of the total pre-tax retail price of the merchandise.
• Sales and discounts do not apply to merchandise on layaway.
HOW DO YOU PRICE BACK ISSUE COMICS?
Back issue comics (vintage and regular) are graded for their condition and priced according to the current price guides (both in-print and online). Most newer back issues are priced at their cover price, plus the price of a bag & board.
DO YOU SELL GIFT CERTIFICATES?
Absolutely! Don’t know what to get that special someone? That’s why we offer EC Gift Certificates! They are available in any amount over 99 cents. They are available in increments of $1 on the online shop, but they are currently only usable in our physical store.
WHAT PAYMENT METHODS DO YOU ACCEPT?
For in-store purchases, we accept:
• Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, ATM/Debit cards
• In-state checks up to $50 with a valid Florida driver’s license (for mail orders, we ship the order after the check has cleared)
• EC Gift Certificates
• Store credit
CAN I RETURN AN ITEM I PURCHASED?
You may return an item
• for store credit
• with a receipt
• within 15 days of purchase
• if the item and packaging are in their original condition.
If the above points do not apply, we may be unable to accommodate a return, but we will do our best to take care of you.
Our goal is making our Guests happy!
WILL YOU BUY MY COMICS AND COLLECTIBLES? WHAT COMIC BOOKS WILL YOU BUY?
We do buy comics and collectibles that we are sold out of, and that we think we can sell.
If you have a small box of comics or collectibles, call ahead at 727-398-2665 to make sure a buyer is available before bringing them in.
For comic books, we do buy older “vintage” comics — those that were published before 1974, as well as select “key issues” that our Guests are always in the market for.
What we would recommend is to take a close look at the publication dates on your comics. The publication date is normally printed in small print on either the inside front cover or more commonly on the bottom of the first (or sometimes last) page of the comic.
You can also check the cover price of a comic to get some idea of how old it is. Vintage comics usually have a cover price of 20 cents or less, and the oldest ones have a cover price of 10 or 12 cents.
We would be happy to take a look at any of your comics that were published before 1974 as long as they are in relatively good condition; we have a hard time selling coverless, incomplete, or very badly damaged comics.
As mentioned, we do also buy “key issues.” Email our Back Issues Merchant at firstname.lastname@example.org for a list of newer Key Issues that we will usually buy. If you happen to have any of the books from this list in your collection, we would be happy to take a look at those as well.
DO YOU MAKE CHARITABLE DONATIONS?
We are always happy to donate comics for a good cause. Please contact us about a week in advance so we can prepare a donation, and bring a letterhead or receipt for our records.
Not a FAQ, but here’s a picture of our Grand Opening of the superstore!!!
And the original EC TV ad from wayyyyyy back in the day!!!